Join us in the Learning Hive

A New Year, A New 5L!

Friday 14th September | 1 comment
2

This first week (and four days) has been an absolutely fantastic one. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the children and they all seem to have settled in and seem ready and raring to go.

Maths and Literacy

Our first maths lessons have all revolved around the idea of place value and have allowed the children to really showcase their understanding of numbers at a very basic level. We have worked on reading and writing up to 6 and 7 digit numbers in both numerals and words and have also begun to compare a series of given numbers.

In Literacy, we have begun our ‘Myths and Legends’ module, where we have particularly focused on those frome Greece. We discovered that they were often used to explain certain phenomena, such as the story of Persephone, which tries to explains why we have  different seasons.

Topic and Music

Our topic this term ties in quite nicely with our Literacy work as we are looking at the Ancient Greeks. We have made a really good start on this, looking first at what Greece is like as a country (taking into account the geography, climate and customs), even getting to try some Greek food! Needless to say we had some excellent reactions!

This week we also had a go at plotting various periods of Greek history onto a timeline – which proved to be no easy feat!

In music, we have started learning a new song: Bon-Jovi’s ‘Livin’ On A Prayer’. We have found certain aspects of the song tricky (either that or the class really want Miss Levett to sing solo) but have kept on persevering and doing our best. We have videoed the class singing to share with you but remember this is still quite new to us so no harsh critiques!

Well done 5L for making such a fantastic start to the year. If anyone would like to contact me, I can be reached at phillippa.levett@farsleyfarfield.org.uk .

But now, I think I’ve kept you all long enough. Enjoy your weekend and I will see you next week.

Miss Levett

One response to “A New Year, A New 5L!”

1. Gemma (Maisy's mum) says:

Brilliant singing 5L but where were the fist pumps! Maybe that’s why Maisy had her arms folded

Looks like you’ve all had a great start to year 5.