Leeds Children’s Mayor
Friday 15th June | 1 comment
We have been given the fantastic opportunity to take part in a competition for one of our pupils to become Leeds Children’s Mayor. Over half of the year 5 pupils expressed an interest in this and hopefully have taken details home to share with parents.
Leeds Children’s Mayors is an annual citizen project that has been running for 13 years. It is run in partnership between Democratic Services and the Voice and Influence Team.
The project aims to actively engage children in the process of democracy and promote an understanding of rights and responsibilities as well as being an active citizen. It is an opportunity for schools to encourage and support pupils to be aspirational, and recognise that their actions can influence change.
What is in it for entrants?
All Entrants: all entrants will be invited to Leeds Civic Hall on Wednesday 10th October to meet the Lord Mayor of Leeds and receive their certificate of participation and badge.
Final 12: The final 12 candidates will have their photo and manifesto published on the Breeze website during the voting period before being invited to the prestigious finalist’s reception at Leeds Civic Hall where they will have tea with the Lord Mayor of Leeds.
What does Children’s Mayor of Leeds entail?
- Switching on the Christmas Lights with the Lord Mayor of Leeds City Council
- Attending a full Leeds City Council meeting in January to read their manifesto to the 99 councillors
- Having the Lord Mayor of Leeds present a certificate at an assembly in school
- Working alongside council teams to try and implement the manifesto
- Accompanying the Lord Mayor on the Remembrance Sunday parade
- Attending a variety of civic functions throughout the year in the official role as Leeds Children’s Mayor
- Reading manifesto and sharing journey so far at Child Friendly Leeds Ambassador events
The Leeds Children’s Mayor will be expected to wear the robes at all high profile engagements.
Remember, if you have chosen to take part, you must hand your entries back in by Thursday 21st June at the latest! Good luck!