Join us in the Learning Hive

5W: Welcome to Year 5!

Friday 13th September | 1 comment
8

What a great week and half it has been! I have absolutely loved getting to know the class and I am incredibly impressed with their attitude to learning. Although we have only been back at school for a short time, we have already covered a lot!

Maths:

This week we have been focussing on place value. We have looked at representing numbers in lots of different ways, rounding numbers to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000 and Roman numerals. I have been really impressed with the effort the class has put in and the brilliant questions they have been asking.

Literacy:

In literacy this week, we started our Greek Myths topic. We learnt about how Greek stories were told and had a go at understanding and summarising the 12 Labours of Heracles and the story of Perseus and Medusa. I am astounded by how much the class already know about Greek myths and I am confident that they will produce some fantastic pieces of work within our literacy lessons. Next week, we will be introducing the dramatic story of Homer’s Odyssey.

Homework:

Homework was sent out today. Maths homework is due in on Wednesday 18th September and Learning Logs are due in on Wednesday 25th September. Please let a member of Year 5 staff know if you are having any difficulties so we can help.

I bet the children are all exhausted after a jam-packed first week back, so have a restful and enjoyable weekend!

Miss Wetherill

One response to “5W: Welcome to Year 5!”

1. Karen Chaudhari says:

Nathan’s absolutely loved learning about the 12 Labours of Heracles and recounted some of them in great detail