Join us in the Learning Hive

This Week in Year 5

Friday 5th May | 1 comment
2

In Year 5 this week, we have been continuing to work hard in the build-up to residential.

In literacy, we have been having a go at writing explanation texts. In 5L we received a letter from Wallace (of Wallace and Gromit fame) asking for help in designing new inventions and explaining how they work. We have had some fantastic designs, (from a machine that cooks and cleans for you to one that turns toast back into bread) each of them unique and brilliantly bizarre!

In maths we have been developing our knowledge of angles and applying it to find angles of various different shapes and intersecting lines using given values. At first we found it a little tricky, but with lots of hard work and focus we seem to have cracked it.

As you may have seen in some of our earlier posts, our science lessons got a little messy this week as we explored the viscosity (or thickness) of different liquids. We learnt that, although they share certain similarities, not all liquids are the same and that some (for example golden syrup) are thicker than others (such as water). We also explored whether a particular type of liquid could have a different viscosity depending on its brand, in this case tomato ketchup.

We are looking forward to more fantastic work from both classes next week and are eagerly counting down the days until residential. Only a few more weeks to go…

One response to “This Week in Year 5”

1. Marion says:

I love your designs for new inventions! Some great ideas and very detailed and well explained drawings. I think there is definitely a market for a ‘bobble putter onner’ – and if it existed it would save me a lot of time doing my daughter’s hair every morning!

Fingers crossed that you have good weather for your residential year 5. I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time though no matter what the weather is like.