Join us in the Learning Hive

5B Explanation Texts

Thursday 5th May | 2 comments
1

We have been focusing on explanation texts recently.  First, we had a look at some examples of good explanation texts.  We read about how to survive your first night in Minecraft, how to successfully eat a Toxic Waste and how to avoid a shark attack!  Next, we compared all these texts to find common features.  We ended up with a comprehensive list which outlined all the important features you will find in an explanation text; this became our success criteria for writing our own.

Today we worked in groups of about 6 or 7 to create an explanation text.  There were several options to chose from (what we would be explaining) and 2 groups chose ‘how to be a good friend’ while the other 2 groups chose ‘how to host the perfect sleepover’.

The final results were brilliant.  Each group worked cooperatively and managed to include many elements of the success criteria.  After finishing, we swapped our finished texts so they could be evaluated by the other groups, and so we could receive some constructive feedback.

To see our finished explanation texts, just click on an image below.

image1 image2 image3 image4

2 responses to “5B Explanation Texts”

1. Alice says:

We got to make our own for extended write and I really enjoyed it I did how to have the best sleepover ever

2. Alice says:

These are very good, I really enjoyed making them