Join us in the Learning Hive

The Amazon Rainforest!

Thursday 31st March | 6 comments
5

To compliment our work on the Amazon rainforest, children researched into the many different types of plant an animal that can be found there.  We then decided to bring these findings to life, by creating felt versions of them!

Firstly, we used some scrap felt and practiced some different stitches.  Once we felt confident, we drew a picture of what we would like our animal to look like and devised a step by step plan of how we would create it.  We thought carefully about the materials we would use, and any problems we may need to troubleshoot.

Next, we created a template and cut this out before pinning it to the felt we had chosen.  We carefully drew around our template then cut it out with scissors.  It is very tricky cutting felt with school scissors, but we got there!

Then for the fun part… adding the detail!  Some pupils chose to creates leaves and used stitching to show the veins in the leaf.  Other chose to do flat animals, stitching on felt for different features.  The rest of the pupils cut out their templates twice, stitching their two pieces of felt together and stuffing them, to create 3 dimensional animals.

I am so proud with absolutely everyone for persevering; sewing can be very frustrating and tricky! Our finished designs look incredible!

image1

(a practice piece and a drawing of an intended outcome)

image2

(you can see the template which was used on the right)

image3

(the finished designs!)

6 responses to “The Amazon Rainforest!”

1. Daisy says:

I really enjoyed doing the Rainforest animals even though took for ever! I did a Jesus Lizard it was very tricky because there were a lot of little fiddly bits I hope my friends did to. 🙂 🙂 :p 😀

2. Polly says:

I really enjoyed doing DT, it was fun!!!

3. Amber says:

I really enjoyed this lesson. Sewing is very hard but I got the hang of it. I didn’t get to finish mine because I was absent. Everyone’s were amazing but Honey’s chameleon looked like she put lots of effort into it.

4. Navroop says:

They’re very good 5B I bet you worked hard.

5. Megan L says:

They look awesome!

6. Sally says:

I love doing this stitching it is so fun I would stitch loads of rainforest animals if I was a loud too!